C1 VISA

Hi, All,

I need some suggestion upon my C-1 VISA application. I am right now in U.S, and will have to travel to Colombia this summer, but during my stay in Colombia(total 12days), my F-1 VISA will be expired. And I have already reserved the flights "to and from" Bogota, Colombia, as well as flights back to China which is two days after my arrival in U.S after the trip to Colombia. I know such arrangement is not reasonable and stupid, however, I can not change my flight nor cancel it (with no refund). In order to minimize the $ lost (I can not afford to book a ticket from Beijing to U.S again in such a rocketing price), I will have to apply for a C-1 VISA in Colombia during my stay there.

My question is, is that OK for me to apply for C-1 VISA with such a "reason", and usually how long it takes from interview to get the VISA from Embassy in Colombia. Can I please them to speed up my process with this reason?

Thanks a lot.

关键词 tags: 
scmax 的头像

楼主订阅回复提醒

scmax 的头像

有人可以帮我这个问题么?谢谢

匿名天使 的头像

You may request to expedite the processing of your visa at any U.S. Consulate/Embassy, and it is usually considered. However, there is no such guarantee.

On your visa application in Bogota, there are some problems. A friend of mine traveled to Bogota a little more than a year ago to visit his friend, and his F-1 visa expired during his stay in Colombia. He tried to renew his visa in Bogota for a few times, and every single time his application was declined, on the ground that he had not established "strong ties" with Colombia so he could not apply locally. He had to fly back to Shanghai to get a new visa before returning to school. Not fun.

On second note, you're applying for a C-1 visa (transit), which might be different. It's never recommended to apply for U.S. visa in a country where you do not hold permanent residence or have not established long term residence. Your application may or may not be received, totally at the discretion of the consular officer.

My advice is try to amend your itinerary if you can. Other than that, try to think what could help your application in Bogota, and maybe try to reach the U.S. embassy there.

Best luck.

scmax 的头像

Hi, thank you for your help. It's very detailed and helpful.
As to your suggestion, an applicant must have a "strong tie" within the country where he submit the application. But my case is, as a F-1 expired VISA holder, I have no strong tie in Colombia, instead I have an extremely strong tie in China. I could even show VO the flights tickets that I have already reserved for China two days after my arrival in U.S, family photos... whatever. Is this reason or tie strong enough, as least in your eyes?
My idea is to prove that there is only one reason for me to go to U.S, which is prepare for my next flights to China two days later. However, the VO may suggest me fly directly from Colombia to China, then I will have no choice at all. I know this is my logic, but sometimes it mostly depends on VO's logic.

Thank you so much.

scmax 的头像

up